Community Champion Volunteer
We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic individuals to become Community Champions and inspire others to make an impact in ending homelessness in Northern Ireland.
Working alongside the Income Generation Team, our Community Champions ‘tell the Simon Community NI story’ in their local community by delivering engaging and motivating talks to community groups, schools, churches and universities.
How you will make an impact
As one of our Community Champion Volunteers you will have the opportunity to:
- Deliver presentations which are instrumental in ensuring more people know about Simon Community NI’s support services in their area and increase volunteering and fundraising support for the charity.
- Develop your own communication skills and experience of delivering presentations.
- Attend events to raise awareness of homelessness and the profile of our organisation including Freshers Fairs and community festivals.
We’re with you every step of the way
As a Simon Community NI volunteer, you’ll receive excellent ongoing support from a supervisor, our Volunteer Coordinator and existing volunteers. Before beginning your volunteering, you will receive a full induction and any necessary training, ensuring you feel a valuable member of the team from the start. In addition to this you will also have the opportunity to:
- Be part of a team dedicated to ending homelessness.
- Enhance your CV by using and developing your interpersonal and communication skills
- Receive out of pocket expenses as outlined in our Volunteer Expenses Policy.
The skills and personality we are looking for:
- Previous experience of public speaking or delivering presentations would be beneficial but not essential.
- Motivation to support individuals who are experiencing homelessness
- An empathetic and non-judgemental outlook
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Confident in responding to questions from an audience
- The ability to work in a team but also able to think on your feet
- Open to learning
We are looking for someone who would be once a month, more if you have time, ideally for six months. There is flexibility for this role and we can discuss this further with you.
We would also ask that you commit to the following:
- Demonstrate Simon Community NI values of being non-judgmental and client-led.
- Willingness to attend supervision and training to develop you further in your volunteer role.
- Operate within all relevant Simon Community NI policies and guidelines, including safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities and confidentiality.
- Essential checks we will need to complete with you
- When you apply to volunteer with us, we will need to process some routine pre-volunteering checks.
- You will be asked to provide two satisfactory references. Please note that unfortunately we cannot accept references from family members, or partners.
Please make sure you complete all sections of your application form, giving as much detail as you can.
After you submit your application, we will be in touch with you with information on the next steps. If you experience any problems with your application, please get in touch with us via email or phone.
We look forward to receiving your application.