Creative Arts Volunteer
Every day, our volunteers support us in our mission to end homelessness. Could you join our team and help us create a society where everyone has a home?
We are calling on musicians, artists and creative writers who are passionate about sharing their skills and making an impact on the lives of individuals experiencing homelessness.
How you will make an impact
As one of our Creative Arts Volunteers, you will have the opportunity to:
- Facilitate activity sessions using your preferred medium (photography, creative writing, arts & crafts) to promote emotional wellbeing and social interaction among clients.
- Work with clients on a 1 – 1 basis or in small groups to learn new skills in a relxed and supportive environment.
- Support clients to develop confidence and increase their self-esteem.
We're with you every step of the way
As a Simon Community NI volunteer, you'll receive excellent ongoing support from a supervisor, our Volunteer Coordinator and existing volunteers. Before beginning your volunteering, you will receive a full induction and any necessary training, ensuring you feel part of the team from the start.
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to:
- Be part of a team dedicated to ending homelessness.
- Enhance your CV by developing your interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
- Receive out of pocket expenses as outlined in our Volunteer Expenses Policy.
The skills and personality we are seeking
- Previous experience of group facilitation would be beneficial but is by no means essential.
- Motivation to support individuals who are experiencing homelessness.
- Ability to work with individuals who may present with complex needs with sensitivity and respect.
- Empathetic and non-judgemental outlook.
- Ability to work in a team but also able to use your own initiative.
- Ability to encourage client-participation and involvement in activities.
- Good communication and timekeeping.
We are looking for someone who would be available for one session per week (2 – 3 hours), ideally for six months.
We would also ask you to commit to the following:
- Demonstrate Simon Community NI values of being non-judgemental and client-led.
- Willingness to attend supervision and training in order to develop further in your volunteering role.
- Operate within all relevant SCNI policies and guidelines, including safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities and confidentiality.
Essential checks we will need to complete with you
If you are successful at interview, we will need to process some routine pre-volunteering checks.
These will include an Enhanced Access NI check (free for volunteers). We will ask you to provide necessary documentation at interview. You will also be asked to provide two satisfactory references. Please note that we cannot accept references from family members or partners.
Ready to apply?
Please complete all sections of the application in as much detail as possible. Once submitted, we will be in touch with information on the next steps. If you experience any problems with your application or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or phone.