Belfast Central Mission
T: +44 (0)28 9024 1917
- Have job security with this full time, permanent position
- Make a positive difference to the lives of our residents through your love of food
- Enjoy access to a range of company benefits including pension, healthcare plans and more
About the role
As the Head Cook at Kirk House, our residents will be at the heart of everything you do. The focus of this role will be to offer a high quality, creative menu that meets residents’ nutritional and dietary requirements and offers choice.
Duties will include:
- Provide a variety of high-quality and nutritious foods and menus including home baking and comforts
- Prepare, present and serve / deliver food ensuring awareness of special needs for modified diets
- Plate and present food in an appealing manner and to a high-quality visual standard according to individual requirements
- Be receptive to feedback from residents and implement any necessary changes accordingly to ensure their expectations are met so that they get maximum enjoyment from mealtimes
- Rotation of dated foods for disposal, manage correct systems for coding food and maintain Menu Boards
- Manage the kitchen and all staff, ensuring compliance with hygiene and health and safety standards and regulations
- Manage the kitchen budget including the factors that can impact on budget indirectly such as wastage, portion control, etc. .
- CIEH Level 3 in Food Safety or equivalent;
Skills & experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a cook or head cook
- Demonstrated experience in managing a team of staff in a busy kitchen environment
- Experience managing the kitchen budget including stock control
- Ability and experience to design a high quality menu that offers variety for all meals
- Experience managing compliance requirements
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, patience, and empathy
- Ability to form appropriate supportive relationships with residents and family members where appropriate
- Ability to use initiative to resolve issues and follow correct reporting procedures
- Excellent IT literacy and the ability to use Microsoft applications and email
As an employee of Belfast Central Mission, you will be provided with ongoing personal and professional development, career pathways opportunities, a positive and supportive workplace culture alongside a range of staff benefits including:
- Health and Pension Plans
- Cycle to Work Schemes
- Paid Uniforms and Mileage
- 21 days holiday leave plus public holidays
Belfast Central Mission are an award winning, not-for-profit organisation, providing services including supported housing to all ages, residential aged care, retirement living, community services, counselling, and day care services across Northern Ireland.
If you meet the above criteria and are passionate about making a positive difference in people’s lives, we would love to hear from you!
To work at BCM, you will be required to supply proof of work rights and an enhanced AccessNI check.