Law Degree Sponsorship Programme Paralegal / Specialist
Law Degree Sponsorship Programme
Wilson Nesbitt is offering an exciting new opportunity to students who have completed their A-levels in 2022 to embark on a fully funded career path culminating with a Law degree and an opportunity to qualify as a solicitor.
The ‘earn while you study’ programme involves a funded Open University Honours Law Degree which will be undertaken while working in a salaried position in the firm. The programme runs over seven years as follows:
- Working gap year experience in our Bangor office. You will receive comprehensive training and experience in office administration and procedure.
- Upon successfully completing the gap year experience Wilson Nesbitt will pay the fees for your part-time Open University Honours Law Degree.
- Part-time study carried out in evenings and weekends for an Open University Honours Law Degree.
- Working full-time as a salaried paralegal specialist* in one of the firm’s legal teams.
*Twenty three of the current Wilson Nesbitt solicitors (including seven partners) started their career at Wilson Nesbitt as paralegal specialists.
During your time as a paralegal specialist you will:
- Handle your own caseload with the help of our case management systems & our expert legal team;
- Conduct cases through to legal completion;
- Liaise with clients and other stakeholders to provide case progression updates and relay legal advice;
- Consult with partners, solicitors and risk managers providing legal support across your caseload;
- Consultations with clients to facilitate document signing;
- Follow our case management systems to proactively manage and progress your caseload to meet established benchmarks and deadlines;
- Legal document drafting and proofreading;
- Financial administration of incoming and outgoing payments;
AFTER COMPLETION OF YOUR LAW DEGREE
- You will have the opportunity to apply for a Solicitor training contract* with the firm.
- Successful applicants will be funded by the firm to attend the Institute of Professional Legal Studies to qualify as a solicitor.
*91% (87 out of 95) of the paralegal specialists working in Wilson Nesbitt over the last thirteen years who had law degrees and took the Institute of Professional Legal Studies entrance exam secured their place, obtained training contracts and qualified as solicitors two years later;
Applicants should have the following key skills
- Excellent A level grades;
- Excellent organisation and communication skills
- Team player but capable of working independently
- Ability to work under pressure
- Reliable and conscientious approach to work
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Competent computer skills
- Enthusiastic, keen and proactive
- Meticulous and diligent.
About Wilson Nesbitt
Wilson Nesbitt is widely considered to be one of the most modern and progressive law firms in Northern Ireland with offices in Bangor and Belfast offering a wide range of legal services. We are a forward thinking, inclusive and diverse employer and you will be joining an exciting team of enthusiastic, professional individuals working together in a collaborative and supportive working environment. Comprehensive training will be provided and the role provides a great opportunity to develop essential experience and skills to move along an established career path within the firm.