Sports and Outdoor Activities Volunteer
Every day, our volunteers support us in our mission to end homelessness. Could you join our team and help us create a society where everyone has a home?
We are seeking sports and outdoor activity enthusiasts who desire to share their skills and make a difference in the lives of others. This role is ideal for those pursuing a career in sport or coaching and who wish to gain experience or those who would simply love the opportunity to share their passion.
How you will make an impact
As one of our Sport and Outdoor Activities Volunteers, you'll have the opportunity to:
- Motivate clients to participate in sports and outdoor activities and in doing so, promote positive mental wellbeing and reduce social isolation.
- Facilitate sports and outdoor activity sessions for clients on a 1-1 basis or in small groups.
- Support clients to develop confidence and increase their self-esteem in a welcoming and supportive environment.
- Assist clients in setting goals and encourage them to achieve these.
- Assist clients to access sports and outdoor activity opportunities in their local communities.
We're with you every step of the way
As a Simon Community NI volunteer, you'll receive excellent ongoing support from a supervisor and our Volunteer Coordinator. Before beginning your volunteering, you will receive a full induction and all necessary training.
Additionally, you'll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of a team dedicated to ending homelessness.
- Enhance your CV by developing your interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
- Receive out of pocket expenses as outlined in our Volunteer Expenses Policy.
The skills and personality we are seeking
- Passionate about sport or the great outdoors!
- Ability to work with individuals who may present with complex needs with sensitivity and respect.
- Empathetic and non-judgemental outlook.
- Ability to work in a team but also able to use your own initiative.
- Ability to encourage client-participation and involvement in activities.
- Good communication and timekeeping.
We are looking for someone who is available for one session per week (2 – 3 hours), ideally for six months.
We would also ask you to commit to the following:
- Demonstrate Simon Community NI values of being non-judgemental and client-led.
- Willingness to attend supervision and training in order to develop further in your volunteering role.
- Operate within all relevant SCNI policies and guidelines, including safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities and confidentiality.
Essential checks we will need to complete with you
If you are successful at interview, we will need to process some routine pre-volunteering checks.
These will include an Enhanced Access NI check (free for volunteers). We will ask you to provide necessary documentation at interview. You will also be asked to provide two satisfactory references. Please note that we cannot accept references from family members or partners.
Ready to apply?
Please complete all sections of the applications fully. Once submitted, we will be in touch with information on the next steps. If you experience any problems with your application or have any questions, please contact us via email or phone.